Friday, March 21, 2008

What is a Star Box?

I don’t know why the box was created, but my earliest memory of the Star Box is when I was 10 years old. One day I asked for some small piece of nothing that you might generally find in someone’s junk drawer and was told….”Go look in the Star Box”. The Star Box was an old red and brown card board box of unremarkable size, it’s most distinctive characteristic was a large black star drawn right on the center of the lid in permanent marker. There were no words written there, just a big black Star. Why the star came to be is unknown to everyone except my Mother. She drew the star so many years ago, and until now I have never thought to ask her what her intentions were in marking the box that way. All I know is that the Star Box became a home for all manner of items that still retained some useful life and lacked a permanent resting place.

Now many years later I have created a Star Box of my very own, and all those loose buttons, errant paperclips, various broken bits of jewelry and scrap pieces of twine, basically anything that has the potential to be transformed by the imagination is tucked safely away within the Star Box. One day as I carefully peruse the contents, gently fingering the tiny treasures, inspiration will take hold and these lost little pieces will find new life…..as art.

No comments: