Sunday, August 1, 2010

Late Night Fiber Dyeing!

FINALLY! I was able to get some fiber dyeing done late last night and finished up early this morning. I have been so swamped with Rubber Stamp orders that my spinning, dyeing, and knitting have all taken a back seat to stamp carving. Not only was I able to accomplish a good batch of dyeing last night, but Friday night I was able to spin and ply 120 yds of fingering weight yarn in a Mohair/Angora that I blended up myself on my Fancy Kitty. I am going to make another Mohair Angora batt today and spin a bit.

But enough about that, let's get back to the dyeing you say? Well. I have a new little FELTING PROJECT KIT (more on that later) that I am putting together to sell in my Michigan Spinning shop and so I dyed up a whole bunch of corriedale wool that I have been stockpiling. My felting wool is basically the leftover bits from the combing/carding part of processing my raw corriedale. I do alot of needle felting and I don't like to waste any fiber. There may be small bits of VM in this fiber, but I hand card and pick it after dyeing to remove as much as I can.

I use Greener Shades Dyes for my fiber dyeing. I really like them. They come in 9 colors and I am like a mad scientist when I am dyeing and always mixing colors and trying to create different shades and vibrancy of color. I am very pleased that I was actually able to get 2 shades of gray from the black this time. Black has a red/blue undertone and sometimes I end up with purplish or blue tinted purple, but this time I think I got it right with the black. YAY!

My college age daughter was watching me dye and in response to my happiness over achieving gray she said rather sardonically
" all these colors and your jumping for joy over gray?" 


I am really excited when I am able to achieve a new color or shade of a color and so YES, this gray had me dancing and leaping about the kitchen like a crazy person. Maybe next time I will try for BLACK! I hesitate to dye for black because I know it is hard to achieve. I do keep natural black on hand in other fiber breeds such as Alpaca, Icelandic, Black Welsh Mountain, and I just got some Shetland from a friend. But I would like all the fiber in the kit to be the same kind, so I will either have to dye for black or find some natural black corriedale wool somewhere out there.


Once this wool is dry, I will hand card it into batts, pick out any remaining VM and then divide it up for the FELTING PROJECT KITS.  Still can't tell you what they are. You will have to remain in suspense until I get them all put together! No Hints......and No Peeking!

I still have more of this corriedale washed and ready for flick carding. Now that I have gotten a bunch of the felting wool ready, I need to get back to preparing the spinning wool again. It is a never ending process. But I love it nonetheless.

I think after I spin up some more of this Mohair/Angora yarn I may try my hand at dyeing skeins too. Stay tuned for that.

Once I get the FELTING PROJECT KITS put together I am going to do an instructional video for my YouTube channel showing step by step assembly of the project. I will post a link when everything is ready.



Happy Felting!

OOPS!Before I go I must share with you the pics of my new little baby bunnies. They are both 
German/English Angoras (mostly English, their daddy has an unknown amount of German in him and mommy is ALL English) They are only 6 weeks old and the cutest lil bundles of fluff I have ever seen!
 

10 comments:

tiptoethruphylsgarden.blogspot.com said...

Love the bunnies,& your colors of the wool.I`m getting ready to dye too with my own mohair mixed with sheeps wool I managed to aquire for almost nothing.I still don`t know what I`m doing yet,I haven`t heard of the Greener Shades Dyes,I shall go look them up.Beautiful colors!You are lucky to have gotten a gray!phylliso

Michigan Spinning said...

Thanks for the comment on my blog. I love bright colors and the dyes are easy to use.You can buy the Greener Shades Dyes on Etsy.com. Just do a search and all the shops that sell them will come up. I don't use the citric acid crystals it comes with, I just use vinegar, and you will need some PH strips. Mohair is my favorite fiber. Do you raise Angora goats? Right now I am blending Mohair and Angora to spin up some lace weight yarns.

Image Masking said...

Whats a awesoem food recipe and flavor. I like to eat, you promote such an awesoem food for us. Like it very much.

Helen J. Selby said...

Good article and amazing post you have made with us . So much thanks for this spanking post . Keep continue sharing .

Clipping Path Service said...

I really enjoyed your blog Thanks for sharing such an informative post.

Anonymous said...

A Best Hand Held Massager is smalleror cheaper than another doesn’t necessarily mean it’s less effective, it just means it’s designed with another purpose in mind. The first thing you should know about self-massage tools isthat they come in many shapes, sizes, and price ranges. Just because

ufo 3d said...

Nice post

Clipping path service said...

Great post.

Clipping Path Service said...


Really nice and informative blog, keep it up buddy…

Techcloud said...

Wow pretty cool sharing!!I really like the colors of your wools. All the colors are so vibrant. I appreciate your enthusiasm. I'm also working on image post production platform for editing the images and so on. Thanks for sharing such nice post with us, please keep sharing more. I'll definitely visit your blog again. image post production